Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Well - it's only 6 miles!!!!!!!!!


Woodhall Spa 10k runners helped by cooler weather

Monday, June 06, 2011
Profile image for Lincolnshire Echo
COOLER weather helped make the Woodhall Spa 10K slightly less challenging for the 1,200 people who took part.
Runners and wheelchair competitors raced along a route through some breathtaking countryside yesterday, cheered on by well-wishers.
Among the supporters was 11-times Paralympic gold medallist Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson.
Charities and community groups in the village are now expected to benefit from a share of £5,000 raised by the event.
First across the finish line was Matt Bowser, 27, of Lincoln Wellington Athletic Club in 30.41 – a course record in his first stab at the event.
"I thought I would get to 5km in 15 minutes and see how I felt," said Mr Bowser, a recruitment consultant from Brattleby.
"My personal 10K best is 29.57. I enjoyed Woodhall – it was a nice event – I'd never run in it before.
"The conditions were OK, but it was windy throughout."
The first woman to finish was Beverley Wilson of Cleethorpes, in 38.13.
In the wheelchair race, Simon Lawson of Cumbria came first in 23.37.
The three-mile fun run even attracted babies being pushed in prams and two women in wedding dresses.
And the winner was Blake Kenneally-Forrester, 11, of Woodhall Spa.
He said: "I'm exhausted, but happy I was first. I have to have a rest.
"This is the third year I have run it, but I find it tough as I'm usually a sprinter.
"I thought the conditions were good – not too hot, not wet and quite comfortable."
Among the runners were Simon Elmer, 49, of Lincolnshire Police, who ran aid of a fund for the Carpathian Lancers – a Second World War Polish regiment with Lincolnshire connections.
"I have run this 10K every year since it started and the half marathon prior to that," said Mr Elmer, a member of the Anglo-Polish Society of North East Lincolnshire.
"It really enjoy it – it's a great event."
Race organiser Graham Keegan said the event attracts participants of all ages.
"The average age of people taking part is 40, two-thirds are men and half of all competitors are from Lincolnshire with the rest from far and wide," he said.
"We divide up the money from entrance fees to 20 local good cause and we invite the local Brownies, Scouts and football clubs to help us out on the day.
"The event is largely possible to the 100, volunteers who do their bit."
One runner was treated by paramedics after collapsing at the 5km stage.
View more than 200 pictures of the Woodhall Spa 10k...

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment